So by now we have all heard the hype about Coconut oil, it has an endless list of health and beauty benefits which is the reason it has taken me so long to write about… where to begin?! Some people believe that coconut oil is the latest superfood fad, however it has in fact been consumed traditionally for thousands of years in tropical cultures, used medicinally within Ayurvedic and chinese practices and has proven peer reviewed research on its health benefits.
Coconut oil is natures richest source of lauric acid, is rich in capric acid and caprylic acid. When lauric acid is ingested it is converted to monolaurin which has antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and soothing effects within the body. Lauric acid may also be a useful treatment for various heart problems like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
Some of my favourite uses for coconut oil include:
– Moisturiser – it doesn’t leave you sticky and oily, it rubs in nicely and is highly effective in treating dry skin, eczema, acne, scars, wrinkles, dermatitis, and any cuts or rashes – remember it is a anti fungal and anti bacterial.
– Make up remover – the softest, most effective make up removing product ive ever used! It doesn’t irritate or hurt your eyes either – and doubles as an eye cream 😉
– Coconut oil is a nourishing hair mask that restores moisture to dry, brittle hair.
– Immunity booster due to its anti bacterial, anti fungal, high antioxidant, antimicrobial properties. Add 1 tsp. into a turmeric, ginger, cinnamon latte.
– Coconut may be useful in reducing candida symptoms. It provides relief from the inflammation caused by candida, both externally and internally.
– Great to cook with as it is able to withstand higher temperatures compared with other oils, meaning it doesn’t burn therefore you are not ingesting toxins.
Make sure you only ever buy virgin coconut oil, see you when you feel, smell, and taste tropical.