Do you experience brain fog, find it hard to concentrate or store new information? It could be due to lack of water, a nutrient deficiency, or you are just not giving your brain a break! Our most valuable organ and the control centre of our body needs correct nourishment in order to function at its optimum capacity.
Here are 9 natural brain boosters that have been shown to enhance memory, concentration and clear up that cloud cover in as little as 4 days… Who knows you could be the next Einstein!
1. Your brain is made up of 75% water! Even mild dehydration has been shown to decrease cognitive function resulting in reduced alertness, concentration and short term memory. Buy a glass or stainless steel litre drink bottle and re fill it at least twice a day to ensure your water intake is sufficient.
2. Omega 3 fatty acids are highly concentrated in the brain and therefore play a crucial role in brain function and health. Deficiency presents as fatigue, poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings or depression and poor circulation. Omega 3’s are essential fatty acids meaning your body cannot make them so they must be obtained from food. Dose up on oily fish, flaxseed oil and chia seeds.
3. Check your iron levels, iron deficiency can impair memory and cognitive function. Red meat, seafood, pulses, green leafy vegetables and mollases are rich in iron. Pair with foods (fruit & vegetables) high in Vitamin C for increased absorption.
4. Protect your brain from oxidative stress and free radicals with a diet rich in antioxidants. Increase your fruit and vegetable intake, sip on green tea and enjoy a glass of red wine.
5. Enjoy your cup of coffee guilt free. The correct dose of coffee has been shown to enhance alertness and well-being, improve concentration and mood and decrease depression levels. Lifelong coffee consumption has been associated with prevention of cognitive decline and reduced risk of developing stroke, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. Aim at having no more than 2 cups a day and increase your water consumption to avoid dehydration.
6. Gotu Kola is a well recognised cognitive herb in Ayurvedic and western herbal medicine. It has been shown to re-vitalize the brain and nervous system, increase attention span and concentration. Visit your local naturopath to buy a bottle of liquid herbs.
7. The scent of Rosemary has been shown to enhance memory, concentration and mood. Time to pop a bottle of essential oil on your desk.
8. Adaptogens are a class of herbs that decrease cellular sensitivity to stress while supporting each of your bodily systems bringing them into balance. Adaptogens work miracles on your overall sense of wellbeing and promote homeostasis. My favourite, Withania somnifera has additional cognition enhancing properties.
9. Give your brain a break! It is switched on 24/7 so it is incredibly important to allow some down time to recharge through meditation. Fascinatingly in addition to a more clearer mind meditation has been shown to reduce anxiety and fatigue levels while significantly improving visuo-spatial processing, working memory and executive cognitive functioning in only 4 days! There is no better excuse to take time out for yourself.