Green smoothies should predominantly consist of green vegetables and some low sugar fruit such as berries to help regulate your blood glucose levels and provide long lasting energy for the day.
The benefits of drinking a green smoothie each day are plentiful –
– They are a quick and easy way to get your 5 a day vegetable dose
– Drink a green smoothie for a week and see how your skin changes…. slight tinge like shrek? Nope, your skin will start to glow and spots will begin to disappear
– The fibre from the vegetables help keep you ‘regular’, promotes weight loss and removal of toxins as the fibre breaks down the blockages in your intestines
– You’re ingesting the vegetables in a more raw form than high temperature cooking, which means the vitamin content is richer
– Clearer mind and less cravings for sugar
– Great energy source
– Improves your immune system and lessens chances of disease through increasing the vegetable and fruit in your diet.
And the list continues…..
I like to have my smoothies in a bowl and top with nuts, goji berries, cranberries, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, flaxseed and a spoonful or two of muesli if I am really hungry – doing this makes you feel like its a real meal and not just a pre breakfast drink. Remember as soon as you make your smoothie it begins to oxidise, which means the vegetables begin to loose their nutritional benefits, so its best to drink within 20 minutes of making.
One of my favourites to make:
- Handful of washed kale
- Handful of washed baby spinach
- Handful of mixed berries – (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries)
- Half an avocado
- Half a squeezed lemon or lime
- Dash of coconut water – if from a fresh coconut add some of the flesh
- Half a large cucumber
- 1/2 tbsp. of Chlorella, Spirulina, or Barley grass.
- Add the ingredients in a blender and whizz on high until smooth (remember organic is always best)
You may also like to add:
– 1/2 Banana