As featured on Par Olive
Whilst there are a myriad of phenomenal skin care products on the market to help nourish and protect your skin from the outside, in order to have truly glowing skin we must start a little deeper.
Beautiful skin begins on the inside, with adequate nutrients and vitamins from food and efficient clearance of toxins through your detoxification and elimination pathways.
The liver, kidneys and intestines are our major internal detoxification organs, if any of these organs are compromised; accumulated toxins have no place else to go but our largest external detoxification organ – the skin.
So how can you support your body’s detoxification and elimination pathways for beautiful skin?
- WAKE UP YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: Rise and shine with the juice of half a lemon squeezed in a mug of warm water – this trick kick starts your digestion for the day and hydrates you upon waking.
- EAT THE RAINBOW: Food is medicine; adequate vitamins and nutrients are essential for skin cell regeneration. Eat a wholefoods, varied diet of colourful fruits and vegetables, quality fats, proteins and complex carbohydrates such as sweet potato (packed full of skin loving Vitamin A)
- THE MORE BITTER, THE BETTER: Add bitter foods to meals to support enzyme production and bile flow, which helps break down food efficiently and promotes bowel movements.
1. 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar to salads
2. Green leafy vegetables – rocket, dandelion, arugula, mustard greens, nettle
- SUPPORT YOUR BOWEL MOVEMENTS: Good quality fiber is incredibly important to ensure toxins are being excreted through daily bowel movements and not being reabsorbed by the digestive tract.
- FEED YOUR ARMY: The ‘army’ of bacteria in our gastrointestinal tract plays a large role in beautiful skin by eliminating pathogens and toxins, improving nutrient absorption, enhancing immunity and minimising hypersensitivity reactions. Enjoy pre biotic foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, and yoghurt to help feed your pre-existing ‘good’ bacteria.
- HERBAL MEDICINE: One of the best herbs to support liver, gallbladder and kidney detoxification is dandelion root. Enjoy a cup of dandelion tea each night after dinner.
- WATER, THE ESSENCE OF LIFE: Keep hydrated! Our body is made up of up to 75% water- water is vital to ensure you’re flushing out toxins to keep skin gleaming and glowing. Aim to drink 1.5 litres of good quality filtered water each day.
Image via pinterest