As seen on The Vista
Ever wondered why after a bowl of oats you feel calm and centered? Oats are classified as nervines and are one of my favourite medicinal foods for nourishing the nervous system. A bowl of creamy oats each morning can significantly reduce nervous tension, anxiety, stress and depression.
Oats have been shown to lower cholesterol and are classified as a low GI food helping to regulate blood sugar, keeping you fuller for longer and ensuring a slow burning release of energy throughout the day.
Top your oats with roasted figs, a sprinkle of nuts and a drizzle of honey and you will have yourself a happy belly and calm nervous system.
- 1/2 cup of dry oats
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, or whatever milk you desire
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1 tsp of chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp flax seeds (optional)
- A handful of nuts
- 1 fig chopped in half
- A tbl spoon of honey
- Turn the oven on to 180 degrees
- Place figs in a baking dish and drizzle with 1 tsp of honey, bake for 15 minutes or until soft
- Pour oats, milk, water, chia and flax seeds into a saucepan and cook for 5 minutes until oats have formed a porridge texture
- Pour oats into a bowl and top with crushed nuts, roasted figs and drizzle with honey