This creamy dip is perfect to whip up for a snack with veggie sticks or as a side on wraps, salads or roast veggies.
Beetroots contain a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains, which possess powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and liver detoxifying actions. Betalains are heat sensitive, so to ensure optimum levels are kept in the root steam for no longer than 15 minutes and roast for no longer than 1 hour.
The natural sugar content in beetroots is useful for increasing energy and can be used to replace pre workout energy drinks.
Beetroots have been shown to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, heart disease and stroke by lowering highly toxic metabolites known as homocystein in the blood.
- 1 tin of organic chickpeas (drained)
- 1 large beetroot (peeled, steamed for no longer than 15 minutes)
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or chopped)
- ½ lemon (freshly squeezed)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth – add additional olive oil if a smoother texture is desired.
- Add additional herbs such as dill or parsley to serve