I am the ultimate SUCKER for pie and crumbles – actually all things that involve stewed fruits and pastry! This recipe is refined sugar and dairy free – I use oats so Its not 100% advisable for gluten intolerant people. Feel free to omit the oats and use buckwheat flour if you are gluten intolerant.
- 3 Green Granny smith apples
- 2 Pink lady apples
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of spelt flour
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbl spoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Turn oven onto 170 Degrees
- Chop each apple into 12 pieces and layer in a medium sized baking dish
- In a large bowl add your dry ingredients – oats, flour, coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg
- In another bowl stir together your wet ingredients – coconut oil, agave and vanilla essence (you may have to melt the coconut oil first)
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Crumble the topping over the apples until it is evenly spread
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until the apples are soft and juicing
- Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes in order to brown the top slightly.
- ADD NATURAL YOGHURT AND DEVOUR WHEN HOT!
This doubles as a great breakfast option – I even top my pancakes with it the next day – see pancake recipe on the next page.