It’s that time of the year again where the champagne is flowing, the rum balls are aplenty and we are in full swing of celebrating the end of the year.. woohoo!
Lets be honest, no one wants to miss out on a second serving of dessert at X’mas so here are 6 easy holiday tips you can pick up to help detoxify your liver and support your body through the silly season. Its a win win situation.
1. Each morning before breakfast squeeze 1/2 a lemon or 1tsp of apple cider vinegar in warm water and sip. This kick starts your metabolism, alkalises and detoxifies your body.
2. Add prebiotic rich fermented foods to your meal wherever possible. Fermented foods help recolonize your gut and protect you from bacterial or yeast overgrowths caused by too much sugar and alcohol. This can be in the form of kombucha, sauerkraut, Kim chi and many other fermented goods. An easy sauerkraut recipe can be found here.
3. Up your fiber to get things moving south and aid any sluggish bowels. Add 1tsp. of flax seed or psyllium husk to your cereal or smoothie each morning.
4. Support your liver with Dandelion or St Mary’s Thistle. These wonderful herbs will help speed up detoxification of alcohol while simultaneously strengthening and repairing your liver cells.
5. Eat sulfur rich foods – sulphur is needed for correct liver detoxification and found in garlic, onion, leeks and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage.
6. Make a fresh liver detoxifying juice to decrease the duration of your hang over
– 1 beetroot
– 1 carrot
– 1 peeled lemon
– 1 knob of ginger
– A handful of parsley or mint
Happy Holiday’s xx